The Council- certified Microbial Consultant (CMC) is the most prestigious industry certification for mold consultants and inspectors. Only a small, select group of professionals hold this designation. The CMC certification is accredited by the CESB and is offered through the American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC). For mold assessors looking to get licensed in the state of Florida, the CMC examination is used as a proxy for the state licensing exam.
It is your responsibility to notify us in writing if you would like us to report your continuing education directly to a state licensing agency (e.g. FL Dept. of Professional Regulation) or professional organization.
Although there are no prerequisites to take our course, the ACAC has established several prerequisites to getting the CMC certification. To be eligible for the CMC certification, Applicants must possess one of the following combinations of eight (8) years education and relevant field experience:
- No degree with at least eight (8) years of consulting experience in microbial sampling. (high school diploma or GED required.)
- A 2-year post-secondary degree or its equivalent (15 credit hours) in microbiology, engineering, science, architecture, industrial hygiene or related field of science with at least six (6) years documented experience in microbial sampling.
- A 4-year post-secondary degree or its equivalent (30 credit hours) in microbiology, engineering, science, architecture, industrial hygiene or related field of science with a minimum of four (4) years of documented field experience in microbial sampling.
Furthermore, applicants must demonstrate experience in designing and conducting microbial sampling regimens. Experience should come from the following three areas:
- Building Sciences
- Microbial Risk Analysis
If you don’t meet these experience requirements, you may want to consider the Council- certified Microbial Investigator (CMI).
CMC Prep Course
Indoor Sciences has both online and on-site prep courses to prepare you for the Council- certified Microbial Consultant (CMC) examination. Because of the similarity between the CMC and CMI examinations, we have a single class that prepares students for both designations.
Our course is approved by the Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA). Although your course completion certificate is issued by the IAQA, the actual certification is issued by ACAC.
The cost of the online class is $795, with IAQA members receiving a $100 discount. To register, visit CMC Online Registration. Upon registration, you will receive a password to access the training. You will have access to the 24 hours of content for a duration of 90 days. Extensions can be purchased if you need more time.
The cost of the on-site class is $795, with IAQA members receiving a $100 discount. To register, visit CMC On-site Registration. Our on-site class is condensed into 2 days and involves going through over a hundred practice questions. The following are upcoming dates and locations for CMC on-site courses:
- November 14-15, 2018 in San Francisco
- 6000 Shoreline Ct South San Francisco, CA 94080
- February 12-13, 2019 in Orlando
- Courtyard by Marriott Maitland, 1750 Pembrook Drive, Orlando, FL 32810
- May 14-15, 2019 in Chicago
- Hampton Inn Naperville, 1087 E Diehl Rd, Naperville, IL 60563
- September 10-11, 2019 in Richmond
- 1551 Oakbridge Dr. Suite B Powhatan, Va 23139
- November 6-7, 2019 in Irvine, CA
- 17461 Derian Ave #100, Irvine, CA 92614
- (also available as an online course!)
Our online and on-site classes include access to our practice examination. If you would prefer to take practice exam without doing the entire course, the cost is $199. Please note that there are no explanations that describe why the right answer is, in fact correct. To register, visit CMC Practice Exam.
To Learn More
If you would like more information, please visit one of the following pages: