Get Licensed Now!

Do you perform mold inspections in the state of New York? A new state law requires you to get a NY Mold Assessor License. The deadline was January 1, 2016!


What must you do to qualify?

You must attend a state-approved 4-day course and pass the exam administered on the last day. The only other requirements are to be 18 years old and have a NY state issued identification. Out of state students can get a non-drivers ID card by visiting the DMV ( New York does not have any mold experience requirements.


Course Dates


Indoor Sciences is available to teach private classes to groups interested in the NY Mold Assessor License. Call 877-426-2855 for more information.


For public classes for Mold Assessor, Mold Remediation Contractor and Mold Abatement Worker, we are referring students to:



To register, either call 877-426-2855 or sign up online here: NY Licensed Assessor Course.


Who does this regulation apply to?

Section 933 of Article 32 of the New York State Labor Law describes who is exempt from needing a license for mold assessment and remediation in New York.

“1. a residential property owner who performs mold inspection, assessment, remediation, or abatement on his or her own property;
2. a non-residential property owner, or the employee of such owner, who performs mold assessment, remediation, or abatement on an apartment building owned by that person that has not more than four dwelling units;
3. an owner or a managing agent or a full-time employee of an owner or managing agent who performs mold assessment, remediation, or abatement on commercial property or a residential apartment building of more than four dwelling units owned by the owner provided, however, that this subdivision shall not apply if the managing agent or employee engages in the business of performing mold assessment, remediation, or abatement for the public;
4. a federal, state or local governmental unit or public authority and employees thereof that perform mold assessment, remediation, or abatement on any property owned, managed or remediated by such governmental unit or authority.”


How can I learn more about the legislation?

The requirements for licensing for mold professionals can be found in Article 32 of the New York State Labor Law. You can view the law in it’s entirety here: Chapter Amendment PDF .