Which certification is best for me?
Are you trying to determine which certification is best for you? We always recommend accredited certifications from organizations such as the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) or the American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC). The ACAC has several different certifications, so it can be difficult to select the right one. Picking the right ACAC certification is based on your interest and your experience.
A good place to start is your experience and interest. Do you have experience or interest in any of the following five categories?
- Indoor air quality consulting– professionals that diagnose indoor environmental problems stemming from mold, VOCs, carbon monoxide, poor ventilation, triggers to allergies and more
- Mold inspection– consultants that inspect for mold & moisture and often collect samples to assess properties
- Mold remediation– contractors that specialize in the removal and clean up of mold and/or bacteria
- IAQ management– facility managers, health & safety professionals, building engineers and others that manage air quality in a single building or campus
- Industrial hygiene– occupational health and safety professionals, industrial hygienists, advanced IAQ consultants that evaluate exposures in manufacturing facilities and beyond
Once you identify a category of interest, you’ll need to assess your experience in that area. Which of the following best describes your experience in the category that interests you?
- Beginner– You have less than a year or two of experience
- Professional– You have at least 2 years of experience (or 1 year of experience with a degree related to the topic)
- Expert– You have at least 8 years of experience (or 4 years of experience with a degree related to the topic)
Based on your responses to the above items, use the table below to select the certification that is best for you.
|Your Interest||Level of Experience||Recommended Certification|
|IAQ Management||Beginner or Professional||CIAQM|